We are so excited to share with you the before and after images of the new outdoor classroom space. Your PTO dollars are working for our children.
Over the 2021 summer, your PTO has been hard at work making some incredible changes to the outdoor spaces at Wilmette Junior High! Last year was challenging and highlighted the need for outdoor spaces where classes and children could go to take mask breaks end enjoy some fresh air. As you may know, the PTO purchased Adirondack Chairs last year for both the Garden and Courtyard spaces so teachers could bring children outside during the school day. This summer, we made even more improvements to make the outdoor spaces more usable for our children and teachers. Our goal was also to make the space easier to maintain for our district so that the children will be able to use these spaces for years to come. The changes included:
- Clearing both spaces of all of the overgrowth, invasive species and unnecessary plants/bushes
- Creating paved pathways in both locations between all of the access doors
- Creating circular paved areas where the Adirondack chairs can be placed
- Cleaning the stone wall in the garden which can be used for additional seating as needed
- Creating additional seating in the courtyard with the introduction of tree stumps around the circular paved location
- Laying mulch to help with weed control.
Before and After pictures are included below so you can see the incredible progress that has been made! We look forward to the children enjoying these improved outdoor spaces!
Your WJHS PTO
Thanks to Landscape Concepts Management out of Grayslake for all their hard work over the summer. The WJHS PTO are so grateful to you! (https://www.landscapeconcepts.com)