What is iGNITE? In one word, enrichment.
In D39, parents pay for enrichment opportunities, not the administration. Parents are asked to contribute to the iGNITE Fund, the enrichment fund that pays for visiting speakers, traveling STEM experiments and field trips that enrich our students’ educational experience! The Enrichment committee is pleased to offer all of these again to students after taking a hiatus during the Covid pandemic.
Some enrichment highlights that iGNITE sponsored from 2022-2023 include:
- Sponsoring visiting author Lindsay Currie, author of middle-grade mystery and horror fiction, to augment the 7th grade suspenseful writing unit
- Funding the The Battle of the Books and the Spring Reading Challenge with prizes adding participation and excitement
- Sponsoring cultural field trips to the German Christkindlmarket in downtown Chicago, to Chicago’s Chinatown district and viewing the Pompeii Exhibit at the Museum of Science & Industry and the Art Institute of Chicago (Latin students)
- Funding the 8th Grade Field Trip to the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center, as part of D39’s commitment to Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Sponsoring a Mexican Paleta truck, as part of the 8th grade Spanish class food unit
We thank all of the parents who have contributed to the iGNITE Fund to make enrichment possible at WJHS! Donations are easy to make during the beginning of the year through Membership ToolKit, or anytime throughout the year.